Saturday 3 August 2013

Saturday 3rd August 2013.

It has been three weeks since we last went for a ride. Some times other things just get in the way besides the weather. We had family come stay with us for four days over the 21st /22nd July weekend. I can't wait until the grand-children are old enough to go on rides with us. I have already bought two more bikes that my son and daughter-in-law can use, and am looking for a suitable one for my 6 year old grand-son. We have a very small bike that my 4 year grand-daughter will be able to use for a bit of fun, but she would probably be better off in a child-seat on the back of her Dad or Grand-dad's bike. I think I will look for one of those on Trade Me also.

Last weekend I wasn't feeling that great, and Saturday was windy, Warren was busy stripping wall-paper so we gave it a miss.


Today though was great for cycling, very warm for a mid-winters day, there was a bit of a wind but not too bad. It was a good day to try and get to the Appleby cycle bridge, the goal I had been aiming for, for quite a few weeks.

The ride out was nice and easy, we got to the signs which was as far as we had been previously, and decided to keep going. It was probably about another 15 minutes to the bridge. As it was such a nice day there were lots of other people cycling also, as well as people walking their dogs. There were also some very young children on their bikes, some the same size as our grand-daughter's 12 " bike.




I was feeling great by the time we got to the bridge but I must admit I was exhausted by the time we got back to the van, nearly two hours from when we had started the ride The wind had changed and it was hard biking against it, and I had to stop for a rest a couple of times. We need to make sure we take water with us as well, as I was getting very thirsty by the time I had finished. It was 17.5 km distance from the recycling centre in Richmond to the Appleby bridge and return. 




2 comments:

  1. It looks a wonderful day for a ride. We'll have to go for a ride together one visit. Have you made it to Rabbit Island yet? I'm not sure if this is past this or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is probably about 75% of the way to Rabbit Island. I would make it okay if I didn't have to turn around and come back!!!! I think we may need to drop the van off there one day, so we can drive back.

      Delete